Please no training @ GBO until 20/3
Training Allocations Update: We are trialling a new system this season for booking team training spots - your requested allocation will not be published until after the coaches & managers meeting - see news item Grading Complete? What's Next on how to book a training spot. The schedule will be emailed to coaches & managers after then. Please note: no training on any SSC ovals until 20/3
19 February 2017
The Concussion in Sport seminar focuses on concussion injuries in sport and the management of return to play protocol. It will be presented by Dr Adrian Cohen who is a Concussion Researcher.read more
The seminar is FREE of charge and open to all sports and the wider community.
at Gymea Bay Oval Ground Control
* Saturday, 25 February, 1-4pm *
for all uniform sales, merchandise and shirt numbering (u12+ only)read more
6 - Coaches & Managers Meeting, GBO;
7-8pm - Junior Teams
8-9pm - Senior Teams
7 - Last Day to Register to Play Rd 1
18/19 - Gala Day & Trial Games
25/26 - Round 1
1/2 - Round 2
8/9 - Round 3
15/16 - Easter, no games
22/23 - Rd 4 (school hols, all games play)
29/30 - Rd 5 (school hols, all games play)
GUFC History - 1960
* Founding meeting held 12th February in Gymea Bay Public School Hall, attended by 21 individuals.
* Cyril O'Neill appointed Foundation President.
* Originally called Gymea Sports Club and affiliated with Sutherland Association. 7 teams registered.
- Fees: joining fee 2/- playing fee 1/- per week per child
- Family support fee of 5/-
* Uniform was a white t-shirt with green V and stripe sewn on by the committee. Purchased shorts & sox.
* Season commenced 2nd April. Three Englishmen (Banks, Bowles & Hewles) coached the teams.
Photo of the first committee is pictured (photo courtesy of Yvonne Brennan, Ken Williams' daughter)
Back: ? ? ? Ron Rich ? Alex Schmierer
Front: Roy Anderson, Cyril O'Neil, Ken Williams, Stan Ellis, Steve Townsend
GUFC History - 1977
* The 21A's won 1977 Champion of Champions competition.
* Greg & Shirley Harris & Ada Smith were made Life Members.
* Maureen Hibbins was producing the weekly newsletter.
- Ladies help to type information on to "skins" and they are printed by a Gestetner machine.
- Teams then rostered to collate and put into pigeon holes in Ground Control office.
- One newsletter was produced per family.
Photo is of Jean Fisher holding the Champion of Champions Trophy - Bill Fisher, GUFC Life Member is standing behind his wife
1977 Committee - Greg Harris (Pr), L. Dean (VP), S. Ellis (VP), D. Charles (Tr), Alan McAlpine (Sec) Ada Smith (SR), V. Robson (Cant), Ken Hutchinson (GC), Bev Nelson (Soc), Maureen Hibbins (Pub), John Formica (Gear), Shirley Harris (A/Sec), Max Cameron (SD), P. Girdler (JD), Terry Hibbins (Tour), General committee - K Edgell, B McAlpine, L Beaumont
GUFC History - 1963
"The end of season Gala Days on the oval were enjoyed by all the families. This was in the era before female soccer so the Mothers versus Fathers game was always a highlight.
One year Laurie Dean dressed as a woman including balloons for a pregnancy.
After running out onto the field with the mothers’ team to much laughter he ‘collapsed’ on the ground and was ‘rescued’ by some fathers who threw him into a wheelbarrow and wheeled him off the field.
A great joke enjoyed by everyone"
(excerpt from "Memories - Harry Basterfield, Life Member")
See 'GUFC History' Tab (above right) on the website for more photos and memoriesread more